Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Adios, Kate

Kate is gone. Adios, Kate!

Kate was my fellow auxiliar in the Colegio Maria Moliner. Kate did not contact the school before arriving in Madrid to confirm that she was coming. She arrived the day before our first meeting and two days before starting work. Poor Kate was tired out by all of the adjusting in the first week, in addition to our taxing role at the cole (school). She complained about our not-ideal work schedule, and while I sympathize with this judgement, I also explained to her that now that the school year has begun, there is only so much that can be expected to be done to better the situation.

A week ago exactly (tuesday), Kate arrived for her 4th day at work, but felt ill. She left the school early to rest. She was also out ill on wednesday. On thursday morning when she was also absent and had not notified the school, our program coordinator Maria Angeles asked me if I knew where she was (which I didn't). I sent her a message saying "You should call the school." At 11:30am I found out through Maria Angeles that the Auxiliares program director had called to say that Kate had quit.

Now I am the only auxiliar left at Maria Moliner. They are waiting for a replacement that, hopefully, will be coming sometime in the questionably near future. I guess this job isn't for everyone. I mean, I'm not sure it's really for me either, but hey, I'm gonna stick it out anyway. Wish me luck!

And Kate, wherever you are, I wish you luck too. And I wish you survival skills.

No comments: